National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Senior Manager, Communications with USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh Project of Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#101/2020)icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 60 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information – icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Senior Manager, Communications with USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh Project of Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 year which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station – Dhaka
No. of vacancy – 1 post
Salary – Annual Tk. 2,120,860/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities – 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Plan, organise and monitor content development and graphic design for internal and external communication; monitor media activities; and compile and update institutional information with the objective of effectively utilizing communication platforms for creating awareness and strengthening icddr,b image within the guidelines of Communication strategy; and organisational values and organisational values and guidelines.
- Planning and Controlling: Lead the development and implementation of Communications Strategy for the USAID’s ACTB project and advise the team on technical matters regarding communication issues based on professional observations and assessment; Derive implications for internal communication and media management; Prepare annual communication plan and actively support development of annual project work plan; Identify focus areas; Cascade goals to team; Contribute during weekly review meetings (e.g. identify areas of improvement, challenges, gaps, focus areas) with team; Monitor adherence to deliverable timelines in order to effectively plan and implement the communication strategy under the project.
- Media Management: Analyse the health media environment to identify trends related to coverage of public health focusing on TB and relevant to the project; Update technical team on such trends and potential areas of coverage for the project; Identify opportunities for placing stories in different magazines, online portals, newspapers etc.; Coordinate with Central Media Manager to organize journalists orientation; network and build relationship with media representatives (e.g. editors of health magazines, news reporters); Generate interest in media on recent developments and latest activities of USAID’s ACTB; Reach media houses for project stories to be published/printed/covered on air/TV shows etc.; Coordinate visits and interactions between public health professionals and mass media; Validate media stories for accuracy of facts and information in order to effectively create awareness of icddr,b and project activities.
- Content & Graphic Development: Coordinate to initiate requisition for preparing communication material for project activities, advocacy or dissemination; Determine communication plan with internal customer (e.g. context, audience pulse); Identify different modes and channels of communication for maximizing impact; Allocate work to team; Guide team to seek information from respondents; Intervene to expedite process; Monitor adherence to communication guidelines (e.g. logo, colours, templates, language); Integrate content with graphic design and prepare collateral (e.g. flyer, posters, fact sheets, booklet); Collaborate with project partners and donors to jointly organise seminars; assist in development of the quarterly and annual project reports; Make editorial and/or graphical corrections to the project reports, briefs, articles; Take the lead to periodically update the project website and its management; Take the lead to prepare high-quality print and electronic communications products that translate complex messages and technical information into understandable, meaningful messages maintaining both organizational and donor compliance in order to efficiently develop content and design for maximum communication impact.
- Institutional Communication: Collaborate with HR, Finance, RA, Centres etc. to secure confidential information relevant for the project; Update information periodically and prior to any external communication; Fill-up nomination forms for international awards and memberships; Secure approvals from Director – Communication and ED; Provide institutional information to collaboration partners and donors (e.g. WHO, USAID) for renewal of contracts in order to provide updated institutional information for external dissemination.
- Administration Management: Support development of communication budget for financial and non-financial resources with Project Coordinator; Review expense reports for accuracy; Suggests for re-allocation of budget, if required; Escalate deviations to Chief of Party and Project Coordinator; Check Screen printing companies and vendors on quality and cost and recommend for selection; Determine quality standards for outputs; Assign work to printers based on expected quality, cost and urgency; Discuss service levels and performance issues with vendors in order to run smooth administration activities to support the Communications activities under the project.
- Branding & Visibility Management: Coordinate with Central Communication team to implement project branding/marketing plans as assigned; contribute to policies and procedures for USAID and icddr,b communications and outreach in order to ensure project branding and visibility at desired level.
Requirements:Education and relevant experience:
- Masters preferably in Journalism and Mass Communication or a relevant field; Candidate with MPH will be given preference;
- 6 of experiences of which minimum 3 years in managing communications in donor funded programs at UN or international NGO. Candidates having experience of working in mass media will be given preference.
Knowledge of –
- Media Management and Planning
- Graphic designing
- Branding concept and mechanisms
- Communication Principles and Tools
- Agency and Promotion Campaign Management
- Fund raising principles and process
- public health research/ study
- Scientific/research publications on health, nutrition and population
Skill on –
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by July 13, 2020. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.